Rules of thumb to compare canola fertiliser needs to those of wheat.
- Shows lower response to applied N,
- Is better at extracting P from the soil,
- Is more critical to ensure adequate K levels,
- Has higher S requirement,
- Is more sensitive to low pH, and
- Is less responsive to trace elements.
Caution: Canola growers should take care with fertiliser placement in the seed row to avoid toxicity to germinating seedlings. Increased risk occurs at wider rows and with disc seeders in zero-till systems.